• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 flat-rate-cash

flat-rate-cash

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 50 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 08:13 PM

Bravo to toyota for throwing away thier multiple vsv system and switching to a simple ventvalve and purge solinoid but they deffinatly droped the ball only making it a part of the canister..

#2 scottimus

scottimus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 216 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 04:01 PM

Thank God!!!! That system was the most most f'd up up design i've ever seen. GM systems are beyond simple, purge valve to pull vacuum on tank, fuel tank pressure sensor to monitor vacuum, vent valve to dump the vacuum. Simple is better. Want to see one hell of a repair estimate?? Bring me a Toyota with an evap problem. I replace it all. The guys that work at the local Toyota dealer do the same thing.I really don't have the time to spend hours diagnosing multiple vsv's and a vapor canister with god knows how many little vacuum hoses and tees.

#3 von schlieffen

von schlieffen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 345 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 04:09 PM

Key-off evap with self-testing vacuum pump is a lifesaver when it comes to verifying a repair. Too bad the canisters now list for around $900. 99% of Toyota evap DTCs are fixed by replacing the canister, which they hide above the rear subframe.

#4 flat-rate-cash

flat-rate-cash

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 50 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 04:20 PM

I couldnt agree more about gm's sytem being the easiest to diag, the only exception is cavaliers and malibus with the check ball in the filler area that you have to test the system then the filler neck or smoke it out from the filler neck Its a joke, no mater what is wrong your buying the canister... Even now with thier vent valve system you still gota relpace it... The one thing ive sceen a couple times,which i would like your input on is a brand new filler neck leaking because of a missed spotweld about 3/4 inch from the top.

#5 Saltmine

Saltmine

Advanced Member

• Inner Circle Member
  • 4,583 posts
  • Interests:Drunken sky-diving record holder, unlicensed gynecologist, dirt shark wrangler,
    Submarine racer, collector of obscure, impossibly complex machines.

Posted 01 July 2012 - 04:57 PM

They left that spot weld out, so you would have something to discover during a smoke test. It never ceases to amaze me the lengths some manufacturers will go to to make somebody's life miserable.
Sam Will
Senior Tech, Vehicle Maintenance
Mohave County Public Works
Kingman, Arizona
Retired

40 years of training....wasted.

#6 flat-rate-cash

flat-rate-cash

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 50 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 09:33 PM

no they actualy missed the spot weld location. the spot weld was half on the part it should have been on and half off. the part that it overlapped onto was alot thinner and resulted in a small pin hole. probly just over .020"

#7 flat-rate-cash

flat-rate-cash

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 50 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 09:37 PM

toyota just put it in about 3 months prior, when i found it i swapped it out, showed the customer and they showed it to toyota in hopes for a magical re-embursment.... and guess what............go pound sand. lol they wounder why they're dead

#8 fullsizeblazin

fullsizeblazin

Screwed by Car Dealers

• Members
  • 3,073 posts
  • Interests:Motorcycles, Dirt and street. Spreading the truth about Stealerships
    Since the automotive industry killed my interest in cars,...

Life is hard. It's even Harder if you're stupid.

Posted 02 July 2012 - 01:07 PM

toyota just put it in about 3 months prior, when i found it i swapped it out, showed the customer and they showed it to toyota in hopes for a magical re-embursment....
and guess what............go pound sand. lol they wounder why they're dead

A customer having To actually pay for a repair on their car?!

Blasphemy! I thought this was the salvation army...

:rolleyes:

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users