• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Beechkid

Beechkid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 49 posts

Posted 26 July 2016 - 03:32 PM

We have a classic car and has oem air conditioning, after the last rebuild 26 years ago the air conditioning compressor gave up.  I look just about everywhere in Southern California for a shop that rebuilds air conditioning compressors, but to no avail.  The few that I did find I would not let them touch anything I owned, and eventually spoke to Ron at classic auto air in Florida.  A really good guy who knows his stuff and ordered a rebuilt air conditioned compressor, air dryer, etc., Which all arrived as promised. 

It takes me a few months to detail everything the way I want it, and get it installed on the car.  Now I call a mechanic which I have used for 20 plus years to recharge the system, and of course he's unable to recharge the system because the new AC recovery system that he bought a few years ago does not have the R12 fittings.  I asked if he had recommendations for a shop, and unfortunately everyone he knows has closed up shop.  Oh crap!!!!!

I did visit a few of the mechanic shops others recommended and honestly I would not let them get within 50 feet of any of my cars!  Having run out of gas so to speak, I called Ron and ask for suggestions and specifically with vacuum pumps and if he knew anything about the "chinese" (cheap) vacume pumps you can find at the local "yellow" tool store?  His reply was yes, they do work. 

OK, I grabbed my 20% coupon that comes in the mail weekly and headed to the yellow tool store.  I ended up purchasing the Pittsburgh 2.5 CFM vacuum pump, I popped it open at the store to see exactly what adapters I needed and to my surprise it was all setup for R12 & 134!

So I went home and hooked it up and in less than 1 minute, had 29 inches of vacume,  and held that the 30 minutes with no problem.  The little compressor and motor did get a little warm to the touch which of course is expected, but for $87.00 which is what I paid with tax, heck, you just can't go wrong!

With the exception of the disposable HVLP paint gun cups, foam brushes, and zip ties, I'm not a big fan of this place that I will give kudos to this little compressor

Jeff

#2 Karrpilot

Karrpilot

STAFF

• Staff
  • 6,070 posts
  • Interests:Ex Ford Tech 22 years.

Posted 26 July 2016 - 04:10 PM

A friend of a friend recently passed. I was at his estate sale, and bought the very same pump you have. For a whole $50.00. I have used it a few times with no issues. Otherwise I would not have bought it, but at this price, I couldn't resist.

No longer working at dealerships. Government employee. Now i get paid to fix Fords.
ASE master tech
Private Pilot High Performance / Complex Rating.

#3 shotime2511

shotime2511

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 376 posts

Posted 02 August 2016 - 02:36 AM

The best thing I got from Horror Fright was my low profile floor jack.

It's only ever seen home use but I've had it since 2009 and it's still working like new.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users