• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 jrcoppo

jrcoppo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 43 posts

Posted 16 June 2017 - 05:25 PM

heard my buddy saying his shop sent him to a meeting with this guy . he is supposed to be an authority on running service dept,   seems like a dick  anyone heard of him ?

#2 Karrpilot

Karrpilot

STAFF

• Staff
  • 6,153 posts
  • Interests:Ex Ford Tech 22 years.

Posted 17 June 2017 - 08:12 AM

Not me. Every consultant I ever ran into was basically a moron who thought he knew everything. My attitude was towards them that if that was indeed the case, WHY are you not steadily employed? Why are you not running your own shop / business? And if your hints and suggestions go south and don't work, can we blame you and get our money back? Don't think so.........

One clown at a prior Ford store I worked at thought we should climb on board with Ford's Fast Lube / Quick Lane concept, along with their tire sales. I pointed out to the owner that if you slam thru every LOF as fast as you can by a goober, THAT was all you would get out of a customer. An oil change. No upsell. And that we had no room to stock tires. We were a small shop. As well as the fact that there were at least 5 tires shops in a 3 mile radius of our store. No waiting.

The owner said that the goobers were going to do all the inspections and upsells on the lube rack, write up the estimates, and give the upsells they got to the journeymen mechanics. I heard that and I knew right off the owner was delusional and off his meds.

What actually happened was the goobers were doing the wallet flushes in their stalls, and us journeymen were standing around, waiting for our next warranty or recall ticket to be dispatched to us. Roll the tool box.....

No longer working at dealerships. Government employee. Now i get paid to fix Fords.
ASE master tech
Private Pilot High Performance / Complex Rating.

#3 ok44

ok44

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 1,410 posts
  • Interests:Fast cars, antique motorcycles, industrial machinery, guns, fishing and outdoors, guitars and music, and all things related to aviation.

Posted 17 June 2017 - 07:27 PM

Never heard of him but I have a very dim view of consultants. The reason why is because about 20 years ago I got involved in city government as a councilman. The worst time of my life. Ever.

The town had consultants offering advice and without exception every one of them caused huge problems which the population (includes me of course..) ended up paying for. And we're still paying for it today.

When I first took office the first thing I did was read the "Guidedbook for Elected Officials" which lays out what one should and should not do as an elected official.

In the foreword (written by the Dean of the OU law school) the first thing he states in there is "NEVER, EVER, trust a consultant".

Why? As stated, "Because they're frequently wrong and nowhere to be found when the problems created by their advice arises".

The only thing the consultants accomplished here was to enrich themselves and leave the town holding the bag.

#4 L1Tech

L1Tech

Advanced Member

• Inner Circle Member
  • 180 posts

Posted 18 June 2017 - 02:30 PM

I worked for a business many years ago that hired a consultant. He would come in for visits over the span of a few months, observe the operation, have meetings with the employees, etc. After paying him thousands of dollars and wasting a lot of time, at the end his recommendations were all common sense things that the employees had already been saying to the owners for years. The best part is they sent him packing then, and didn't end up using a shred of his advice after that. 

ASE Master Technician w/L1

#5 Karrpilot

Karrpilot

STAFF

• Staff
  • 6,153 posts

Posted 18 June 2017 - 04:37 PM

Interesting. At our service meetings, when we actually had them, our owner wouldn't listen to what any of what his employees had to say. It was more or less this is what we will be doing, you will do it, and if you do not like it, there is the door. See your way out of it. So why even have a meeting? I always thought meetings were to discuss things, iron them out, and a decision / vote would be made at the end of said meeting.

But an outside consultant gets a green light. This I do not understand or get. I brought up the fact that the labor rate kept going up every year, but our pay levels stayed the same. How about you address that little issue? I was treated like the bastard love child at the family reunion after bringing that up. Or when I suggested they give us paid sick / personal days. What a concept that was. Imagine that? Again, I was tagged as an instigator and unworthy of any further consideration.

I pretty much left and rolled the tool box when they hired in a jar headed ex marine as the service manager. It was his way or the highway. I jumped ship, went to another Ford store, and a year later, said jar head got canned. Interestingly enough, that jar head tried to land his next gig where I went to. Luckily, he wasn't considered for the position.)

No longer working at dealerships. Government employee. Now i get paid to fix Fords.
ASE master tech

#6 ok44

ok44

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 1,410 posts
  • Interests:Fast cars, antique motorcycles, industrial machinery, guns, fishing and outdoors, guitars and music, and all things related to aviation.

Posted 18 June 2017 - 11:25 PM

Luckily when I got on the town council I took no blame over the consultant BS as most of that took place before I took office. All I did was fight the entire bunch every month over the residual fraud and sheer stupidity.

One of the things the consultants led the town into was a new sewage project; courtesy of EPA demands. Some of the things they did...

1. Missed the cost estimate by a bit. The bit was a shade over 400%....

2. The service life of the lift station was said to be 25 years. It lasted a month before breaking down. After 4 more breakdowns it was disabled.

3. The town had to have a reserve fund in place for the sewage project. The townspeople were told this money was sitting the bank drawing 1.5% interest so the town was making money.

After tearing the paperwork apart I found out the consultant also sat on the board of directors at the bank where the town BORROWED this money at 8.5%.

Nice, borrow at 8.5, earn 1.5, and tell the world you're "making money while it sits there."

It's also illegal under state law for a public body to borrow money like someone financing a car. They have to have a vote and issue bonds.

A couple of years later the broken down sewage lagoon ended up right where it started; raw untreated sewage running into the creek. The lagoon has 3 holding cells and a pump to route sewage from one to the other. The local water/sewer man rolled it to the end of the lagoon, dropped the hose down the embankment and the other hose into the lagoon. He then went down the embankment and got the sewage running by sucking on the hose. According to him the water is "perfectly clean and safe to drink".........

See what I had to deal with........

#7 fullsizeblazin

fullsizeblazin

Screwed by Car Dealers

• Members
  • 3,069 posts
  • Interests:Motorcycles, Dirt and street. Spreading the truth about Stealerships
    Since the automotive industry killed my interest in cars,...

Life is hard. It's even Harder if you're stupid.

Posted 26 November 2017 - 10:52 AM

Yup, I went to several meetings with Cecil. Hes really a good guy and to the point. He appears to be a dick because he calls out shop owners and managers on their shit. His course is really common sense and the shops that follow his program are successful. But, most shops dont because they tend to believe that thats the way we do things is the way, and refuse to listen to a third party that looks into their situations.

If the rubber-kneed service managers and services writers shared what he goes over with their techs, the techs would push their service managers hard for his philosophies. Thats probably why they dont.

Cecil is one of the biggest advocates for technicians. He goes over quite a bit on tech pay plans and saying that a tech should get a good salary PLUS a good incentive package for productivity. But what we learned (against the owners will) is that the frivolous spending and wasted money that the owner does in giveaways, bad marketing, and not monitoring parts profit margins is what kills the business. And guess what happens when thats the case? It comes out of the techs pay! He also reintroduces this old fashioned thing called ACCOUNTABILITY.

Cecils company works only with Independent shops or privately owned businesses. I dont think he does anything with stealerships. I could imagine him telling the stealership owner and principal that they need to not give work away, charge for every car coming in and come up with good pay plans to keep good techs happy and budget their giveaways... of course, this is why a lot of Independent shops have a better reputation, pay their techs better and also get more work than stealerships.

#8 Karrpilot

Karrpilot

STAFF

• Staff
  • 6,153 posts

Posted 26 November 2017 - 04:51 PM

Blazin, I had similar conversations like that with one of my owners back in the 1990's at our service meetings. The outcome? I was treated like the red-headed bastard love child showing up for the family reunion. You should have seen the eyes roll and the looks I got when I mentioned bringing up paid sick and personal days to the techs like what corporate got.

I was on a roll and not stopping there. They didn't like it when I brought up the fact that we didn't even stock repair parts, but were hell bent on upselling tires. If we didn't have parts, WHERE were we supposed to stock tires? I know! How about getting rid of the Motor Sports display? You know. The one that gathers dust, nothing ever gets sold, and when it does, the customer tries to return the merchandise. Saying it either doesn't fit, or is broken, and wants it warrantied.

And let's talk about owner giveaways. Goodwill programs to people that never shop at a store, didn't buy their vehicle there, and never got them serviced there either. SURE! Sounds like a solid business plan if I ever heard one. Let's throw in free oil changes, tire rotations, and wiper / battery installs. THAT will certainly help keep the lights on and the working staff happy..........

ASE master tech

#9 von schlieffen

von schlieffen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 340 posts

Posted 26 November 2017 - 05:02 PM

Wow, FSB, you're back! Haven't seen you around here for a while, everything good? These forums are as dead as a doornail but I still check in sometimes.

Also, off topic, but I wish the guy who was on here reporting about the IAM 177 strike would give us an update on how things are since they settled their contract.

#10 fullsizeblazin

fullsizeblazin

Screwed by Car Dealers

• Members
  • 3,069 posts
  • Interests:Motorcycles, Dirt and street. Spreading the truth about Stealerships
    Since the automotive industry killed my interest in cars,...

Life is hard. It's even Harder if you're stupid.

Posted 27 November 2017 - 12:24 PM

Wow, FSB, you're back! Haven't seen you around here for a while, everything good? These forums are as dead as a doornail but I still check in sometimes.

Also, off topic, but I wish the guy who was on here reporting about the IAM 177 strike would give us an update on how things are since they settled their contract.

Hey Von everything is good here. I check in here every now and then and dont see much posting. I figured everyone has gone to bigger and better things instead of the car industry.

Interesting thing. You cant find a shop or dealer in my state that is not looking for techs or writers. I even had a local independent shop contact me and trying to do the good ole fashion bait-n-switch on me. Saw right through it and told him to pound sand.

In 2012 I got a accidental raise to $24/frh which was cut at the end of 2012 back to $22/frh. Fast forward to late 2017 and I still keep seeing dealers and shops offering $22/frh for top techs. Wtf? Goes to show you they still dont learn. Flat rape pay has been stagnant for 30 Fucken years and they still wonder why they cant keep techs or hire them. With enrollment at the puppy mills down, theres not gonna be the gullible kids that come in straight from school to fill the vacant stalls even though dealers cant keep up with warranty and recalls. I remember trying to schedule recalls for lot vehicles at my last job and I was always told 4-6 weeks out for recalls....

#11 Karrpilot

Karrpilot

STAFF

• Staff
  • 6,153 posts

Posted 27 November 2017 - 06:58 PM

Blazin, the dealers have pretty much taken a page out of the corporate manual on just how to screw people and get away with it. Corporate has done the math and found out that it is far cheaper to hire in young guns, pay them peanuts, not give them any health benefits or a retirement program, and repeat the process, than what it would cost to keep us older workers.

You don't want to work for $13.00 an hour? We have a drawer full of applicants that will. On the 2nd shift if need be. And in the event they can not find enough bodies to fill the positions, legally, there are always enough illegals in waiting. When they get caught, shuffle the deck, and repeat. Happens every day.

When I was doing my little stint at Caterpillar, waiting for my government job to become finalized, I asked another worker on the assembly line with me a number of questions. One being, how long had he been with Cat. His reply, 5 years. Then I asked him in that 5 year time span, how many other guys that started with him, are still on the line? He thought about it, and said maybe 3?

I myself was gone after 2 months.........

ASE master tech

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users