4 replies to this topic

#1 BlueOvalFitter

BlueOvalFitter

Advanced Member

• Inner Circle Member
  • 1,052 posts
  • Interests:Guns,60s & 70s muscle cars,Cajun cooking

Posted 05 January 2018 - 03:21 PM

Guess what Ford techs? Yep, I have ANOTHER problem! 

I have a radar detector and now a new dash cam. My radar detector stays plugged into the extra power port. I plugged my dash cam into my cigarette lighter and it worked fine...........until I was ready to exit my truck. As I was getting out of my truck I grabbed a small bag of groceries I had on my passengers seat and it bumped the plug that is plugged into the cigarette lighter. I looked up at my dash cam and it shut off. Oh well, it blew a fuse, I will just change it. Before I checked the fuse I tried my cigarette lighter and radar detector in the cigarette lighter port. Neither one worked. I pulled the fuse for the cigarette lighter and it looked good. I just went ahead and installed another new fuse, and it still didn't work. So, I said, to HELL with it, and tried a third new fuse. Still, the cigarette lighter doesn't work! WTF! 

Can anyone tell me what I did? Did I short the cigarette lighter out?

Man, if it wasn't for bad luck I wouldn't have any luck at all!

:wt-hell:

2007 F150,XL,4.2V6,auto,Dark Blue Pearl Metallic
The anticipation of death is worse than death itself!
Mess with the best,die like the rest;US ARMY!

NRA Life Member

#2 BlueOvalFitter

BlueOvalFitter

Advanced Member

• Inner Circle Member
  • 1,052 posts

Posted 05 January 2018 - 03:34 PM

Hey Ford techs, check this video out and tell me if this might be my problem. I'M thinking it might be, so, what do I have to lose by trying to do this fix?

https://youtu.be/3Q-itOgn1Do

Or, maybe this?

https://youtu.be/f2SphvH4Kno

NRA Life Member

#3 BlueOvalFitter

BlueOvalFitter

Advanced Member

• Inner Circle Member
  • 1,052 posts

Posted 05 January 2018 - 09:39 PM

Thanks for all of the replies.  :P

I fixed it! But, I'm going to save myself the embarrassment of how it was accomplished!

Just put it this way, I pulled a Homer Simpson!  

D'OH! 

9lbuh0.jpg

NRA Life Member

#4 Karrpilot

Karrpilot

STAFF

• Staff
  • 6,176 posts
  • Interests:Ex Ford Tech 22 years.

Posted 06 January 2018 - 07:24 AM

Years ago I had a C.B. radio that I installed in my Bronco 2. Since I didn't want to use my cigar lighter port to power it up, I tapped into the key buzzer connector, and tossed the buzzer into the trash.

I also used the same idea and piggy backed my brick bag telephone into it as well. My idea of using Home Depot wire nuts didn't pan out so well.........)

No longer working at dealerships. Government employee. Now i get paid to fix Fords.
ASE master tech
Private Pilot High Performance / Complex Rating.

#5 BlueOvalFitter

BlueOvalFitter

Advanced Member

• Inner Circle Member
  • 1,052 posts

Posted 06 January 2018 - 07:42 PM

Okay KP, I'll spill the beans. 

You read where my cigarette lighter wasn't working. I pulled the fuse cover, read my owners manual about which fuse was for what. I thought that my fuses were ATO type fuses with a few mini fuses mixed in. I had NEVER seen the fuse panel for an F150 04-08. So, I was a bit surprised to see ALL mini fuses, except for the cartridge fuses. This is where I messed up. I read the panel wrong and it read that a spare was a cartridge fuse. I thought it was a mini fuse, pulled it, and put in place of what I thought was the cigarette lighter fuse. That's the reason the cigarette lighter would not work, I was messing with the wrong fuses! 

I figured it out last night when I got ready to go to WM. When I was leaving I turned on my headlights. THEY DIDN'T WORK! SOB! So, an hour later, after looking at the fuse panel, reading the fuse cover and the manual, I FINALLY figured out my FAUX PAS! I moved the 20A mini fuse back to its original spot I pulled it from, thinking it was a spare. Then, I tried the headlights. YAY, they worked! I then had to go back to my apt. and get an extra 20A mini fuse from my shed, and put it where I had just pulled the 20A headlight fuse. My son had left them in my shed the last time he was here replacing one in his 04 Lariat. Confused yet? :blink:

So, I had now FINALLY figured out that a 20A cartridge fuse was blown for my cigarette lighter.  I woke up this AM, went to WM, and bought a 3-pack of cartridge fuses; 20A, 30A, 40A. I figured I would need spares. Anyway, my cigarette lighter

plug-in now works, everything is back together, and life is good again. 

Where I F'ED UP was not reading what the asterisk meant by each type fuse listed. At the bottom of the page 1-asterisk meant a cartridge fuse, and 2-asterisks meant a mini fuse.  

I'm guessing when I bumped the dash cam plug it somehow shorted out and blew the cartridge fuse.  :rolleyes:

D'OH!  :D 

Blown cartridge fuse.

ncyzwk.jpg

NRA Life Member

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users