Photo

Anyone making 100k close to it or more annually as a tech?

• Please log in to reply
81 replies to this topic

#1 Jerseykat1

Jerseykat1

• Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 01 December 2015 - 10:55 AM

Just curious to see if anyone is actually making a good living as an automotive technician. If so please share how you got there. If its a dealer please share what manufacturer and the state your in. Thanks I made 60k last year working at STS (like a Firestone) in NJ. Allegedly I'm one of the top producers in the entire company (over 300 locations). If thats true then I feel like i need to move on. I keep hearing about how guys are making over 100k at Ford and GM dealers. 60k is barely enough to survive in NJ I need to do better. We all can do better. Let's help each other.

#2 shotime2511

shotime2511

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 376 posts

Posted 01 December 2015 - 01:42 PM

One of my best friends will make about 80k at VW this year. That is the most I know of any automotive tech making.

That is south Florida though,cost of living is high.

I'm on pace for about $45,500 this year, I work 40 hours a week and live in a low cost of living area.

#3 Jerseykat1

Jerseykat1

• Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 01 December 2015 - 08:12 PM

One of my best friends will make about 80k at VW this year. That is the most I know of any automotive tech making. That is south Florida though,cost of living is high. I'm on pace for about $45,500 this year, I work 40 hours a week and live in a low cost of living area.

80k is not bad at all. 45k is not bad either considering you only work 40 hours a week.. I worked 55-60 hours a week last year and this year about 50-55 hours a week.

#4 Karrpilot

Karrpilot

STAFF

• Staff
  • 6,174 posts
  • Interests:Ex Ford Tech 22 years.

Posted 01 December 2015 - 09:32 PM

Until our profession is looked upon as an actual trade, like electricians and plumbers, you can forget about that 100K mark. It just isn't going to be happening. That 100K lie is still being told by Wyo Tech, Lincoln Tech, and UTI.

I have been wrenching since the late 1970's. The only offer I had in the 6 figure range that still involved wrenching was a subsidiary of Haliburton. They were going to send me to the armpit of the world, the middle east. And I always thought East Saint Louis was bad.)

Where I am at currently, I do get close to that 100K figure. However, and this is a BIG however, I could not do it by only swinging wrenches. I have to go out on the road and be on call during the winter months. I figure since the weather is usually crap for flying, if the opportunity arises for me to make some extra money, I am going for it.

Emergency pot hole patching on Christmas Eve, motorist assist, backing up accidents, getting those little 1:00 am wake up calls, all part of what I have done in the past. Every little bit helps.

One year I worked 4 days straight, 12 hour shifts in a row. Made some good money, but I sure looked and felt like Mickey Rourke in the movie The Wrestler at the end of the week............

No longer working at dealerships. Government employee. Now i get paid to fix Fords.
ASE master tech
Private Pilot High Performance / Complex Rating.

#5 fullsizeblazin

fullsizeblazin

Screwed by Car Dealers

• Members
  • 3,069 posts
  • Interests:Motorcycles, Dirt and street. Spreading the truth about Stealerships
    Since the automotive industry killed my interest in cars,...

Life is hard. It's even Harder if you're stupid.

Posted 01 December 2015 - 09:58 PM

I've made $100k at the stealership. Only took 4 years to do it. Lots of recalls and warranty done to get it. Consolidating that into one year? Not in this day and age. Between Low to no maintenance intervals, goodwill warranty, nothing but warranty and recalls? Good luck with that. I am now finally getting to the $60k mark after moving to management... Slaving on Flat rape at a stealership can eat a dick. Lots of real jobs and careers out there that actually pay you money.

#6 Jerseykat1

Jerseykat1

• Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 02 December 2015 - 10:19 AM

I've made $100k at the stealership. Only took 4 years to do it. Lots of recalls and warranty done to get it. Consolidating that into one year? Not in this day and age. Between Low to no maintenance intervals, goodwill warranty, nothing but warranty and recalls? Good luck with that. I am now finally getting to the $60k mark after moving to management... Slaving on Flat rape at a stealership can eat a dick. Lots of real jobs and careers out there that actually pay you money.

I'm putting some management applications in today at Firestone. I applied for UPS as an automotive technician,they called, then called again to tell me to schedule an interview online. However that online thing doesn't work. I call them back and they tell me "Ohh we are figuring things out check In a week" allegedly they pay 70k according to glass door. But I'm tired of waiting for them to stop BSN..

#7 ojustracing

ojustracing

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 153 posts
  • Interests:Road Racing, Tire Rack One Lap Of America

Posted 02 December 2015 - 12:02 PM

jersey

Management at Firestone? I was a SM at Goodyear.  40 grand!! NEVER again!!!.   I would take the UPS job in a minute if it was offered.  Is that a Union Job?  Is there any openings at Verizon in NJ? I'm partial to them seeing that i work for them. 

Your current employer you are flat rate? I know with my time at Goodyear. i had the pleasure(haaah) of working with the highest producing flat rate tech in the Northeast.  When doing gray items, tie rods, steering racks, suspension parts, alignments.  Labor times were good and easy to make hrs. 

Cough Cough!!!!! 31 Years of turning wrenches. Union Fleet Mechanic

#8 ok44

ok44

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 1,413 posts
  • Interests:Fast cars, antique motorcycles, industrial machinery, guns, fishing and outdoors, guitars and music, and all things related to aviation.

Posted 02 December 2015 - 10:44 PM

I live in Oklahoma and on average wages along with the cost of living is lower than many other areas. Several guys I know who are still dealer techs (and they are damned good, knowledgeable mechanics) may knock down around 50 a year before taxes.

Even that is higher than what both the state and Federal departments of labor consider average and that average is less than 40 a year. A 100k a year is possible IF........

A. The mechanic is REAL good buddies with the service manager......

B. The mechanic is changing shirts and knocking off liquor stores at lunchtime while being lucky enough to not get caught.....

#9 ojustracing

ojustracing

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 153 posts

Posted 03 December 2015 - 01:09 AM

As of right now I'm on track to make $88k. This is with only 4 hrs OT.  I work 37.5hr, working 2nd shift gets me another 10%, 2 wk paid vacation, 4 personal days, 5 sick days, cheap health insurance and my tool box stays home.   I cant thank enough my union for allowing us to make a comfortable living. I make the same in my current location as a tech in NY City.  I also live in a low cost of living area.  Just to show you the disparity in pay. I had 5 job offers ranging from $17 to $19hr.  As you can assume this is not a dealer flat rate job.  

I also made $120K working as a mechanic in Afghanistan.  12hr/7days a week for 5 months without a day off!! but you get paid for every hour you work.  I would still be their if the government hadn't changed the rules in a certain area.  I was asked last week to go back but at a lower pay grade($12 grand less) and declined.  Making what I'm making currently, sleeping in a my own bed every night to make $20k more and to have a crap job when I get back!!! Nope.  

High-paying auto technician jobs are out there. But they are few and far in-between.  I have 30 yrs in this field and worked in a war zone.  The latter brings you to the top of the resume pile.  Do a lot of searching and networking.   

#10 shotime2511

shotime2511

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 376 posts

Posted 03 December 2015 - 03:32 AM

Cliffnotes:

To make decent money,work at an union shop.

#11 Jerseykat1

Jerseykat1

• Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 04 December 2015 - 08:23 AM

jersey   Management at Firestone? I was a SM at Goodyear.  40 grand!! NEVER again!!!.   I would take the UPS job in a minute if it was offered.  Is that a Union Job?  Is there any openings at Verizon in NJ? I'm partial to them seeing that i work for them.    Your current employer you are flat rate? I know with my time at Goodyear. i had the pleasure(haaah) of working with the highest producing flat rate tech in the Northeast.  When doing gray items, tie rods, steering racks, suspension parts, alignments.  Labor times were good and easy to make hrs. 

I applied for Verizon and passed there little online exame however I did not receive a call back. I'm 45 minutes out from NYC. According to Firestone they pay service managers anywhere from 55k to 100k.i wouldn't mind taking a job at 50-60k on salary + commission. But yeah I would love to get the UPS job. The hours were 630am to 230pm..how sweat would that be.

#12 Mike N

Mike N

Staff Member

• Staff
  • 1,215 posts
  • Interests:Drag racing, Bass guitar.

Posted 04 December 2015 - 05:13 PM

I think you'd have to screw your customers blind to make anywhere near that coin at Firestone. SM's at Goodyear used to make $65k until they redesigned their spiff program, then $37k to $40k became their annual take home. 

Myself the most I made in a year (29 years at Goodyear) was $72k, in 2009. I make $5 more per frh now than I did then and I've made between $58k and $63k from 2010 on up. Besides the falling labor times, low times on menu priced items and SM's giving shit away and/or guessing on labor times vs actually looking them up, the company one year cut us to 32 clock hours per week and now has limited us to no more than 40 clock hours per week. So, whatever I flag in 32 or 40 clock hours (depending how upper management feels that week) is what I get for my check. Prior to 2010 they didn't care how long we were there on any given week and I would typically put in a 48 to 50 hour week. 

Horsepower sells cars, Torque wins races.
1981 Camaro. 10.30's@130 mph.

#13 von schlieffen

von schlieffen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 343 posts

Posted 04 December 2015 - 09:55 PM

It's a tough business for sure, and though I'll make $85k this year (also in NJ, live in Gloucester county), I'll also take home less of that than ever before as I'm currently paying $277 per week out of my check for medical insurance. I could supplement by doing sidework but I choose instead to just put in my 37.5 hours each week and go home, and save my energy for other things or fixing my personal vehicles. It's damned expensive to live here too, between property taxes, car insurance, and high housing prices. I do ok, between what I and my wife make it's enough for our family of four, but we're certainly not living large. I've learned that it's easier to simply adjust your expectations downward and settle for a lesser lifestyle, than it is to stress yourself out to make more money.

OP, where do you live in NJ? Obviously down here is still quite a bit less expensive than the central and northern part of the state. I'm about 3 miles from the bridge to Philly.

#14 von schlieffen

von schlieffen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 343 posts

Posted 04 December 2015 - 09:58 PM

I forgot to mention, since you're new to FRT, I work at Toyota.

#15 95cobraguy

95cobraguy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 97 posts

Posted 05 December 2015 - 09:03 AM

I made a tick over $46,000 last year, i'm on pace to make a few thousand less this year (reduction in OT and restructure of our bonus is to blame for that) but i'm fine with it. I'm paid hourly, off on weekends and work 6am-230pm m-f. We'll be starting OT next week and being that we're really busy we may be on OT for awhile so i'll have a chance to finish out the year strong and start off next year on a good note. When i was a flat rate tech at mercedes on long island i had a few years where i was well over 50k but the whole operation was a fucking fiasco that i would never go back to.

#16 Jerseykat1

Jerseykat1

• Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 05 December 2015 - 01:18 PM

It's a tough business for sure, and though I'll make $85k this year (also in NJ, live in Gloucester county), I'll also take home less of that than ever before as I'm currently paying $277 per week out of my check for medical insurance. I could supplement by doing sidework but I choose instead to just put in my 37.5 hours each week and go home, and save my energy for other things or fixing my personal vehicles. It's damned expensive to live here too, between property taxes, car insurance, and high housing prices. I do ok, between what I and my wife make it's enough for our family of four, but we're certainly not living large. I've learned that it's easier to simply adjust your expectations downward and settle for a lesser lifestyle, than it is to stress yourself out to make more money.   OP, where do you live in NJ? Obviously down here is still quite a bit less expensive than the central and northern part of the state. I'm about 3 miles from the bridge to Philly.

I live in Somerset County.. I feel you on lowering expectations. But 85k is not bad I would be happy in that range. I'm going for an interview with a volvo dealer not to far from where I live this week. See what they are talking about. There has to be at least 1 car line that values there technicians. Maybe I should look into toyota as well.

#17 ojustracing

ojustracing

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 153 posts

Posted 05 December 2015 - 01:58 PM

Jersey I sent you a PM. 

As a flat rate tech no dealer gives a crap.  They can have the smoke and mirror show for you.  After the interview go talk with some of the tech and go for a walk through the service department.  Are there some flat rate tech plans that can work yes.  But no dealer runs them.  I wouldn't want to stand around 6 days a week to get 40 hrs. F-that!!!!!!!!!!

#18 Karrpilot

Karrpilot

STAFF

• Staff
  • 6,174 posts
  • Interests:Ex Ford Tech 22 years.

Posted 05 December 2015 - 04:14 PM

Jersey, if the Volvo dealers you are going to be looking at are anything like the ones here in Chicago, you will most likely find more life in a morgue. Volvo customers are pretty much on par with BMW shoppers. Mostly just rolling over from one lease to the next. So in addition to the vehicles being almost always under some sort of warranty, there also is that free maintenance plan to deal with as well.

The only display at the Chicago auto show that got less traffic than the floor plan of Volvo was Mitsubishi. And last I heard, Mitsubishi was calling it quits here in the states due to that fact. Either the 2015 or 2016 model year.

From what I have been seeing and hearing, no car line maker values their help. If you don't want to work for $14.00 an hour, there are plenty of recent puppy mill graduates from the tech schools with huge student loans to repay that will.............

No longer working at dealerships. Government employee. Now i get paid to fix Fords.
ASE master tech
Private Pilot High Performance / Complex Rating.

#19 Jerseykat1

Jerseykat1

• Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 05 December 2015 - 07:14 PM

Jersey, if the Volvo dealers you are going to be looking at are anything like the ones here in Chicago, you will most likely find more life in a morgue. Volvo customers are pretty much on par with BMW shoppers. Mostly just rolling over from one lease to the next. So in addition to the vehicles being almost always under some sort of warranty, there also is that free maintenance plan to deal with as well.   The only display at the Chicago auto show that got less traffic than the floor plan of Volvo was Mitsubishi. And last I heard, Mitsubishi was calling it quits here in the states due to that fact. Either the 2015 or 2016 model year.   From what I have been seeing and hearing, no car line maker values their help. If you don't want to work for $14.00 an hour, there are plenty of recent puppy mill graduates from the tech schools with huge student loans to repay that will.............

Well that's not what I want to hear. I'm going to atleast hear what they have to say.

#20 fullsizeblazin

fullsizeblazin

Screwed by Car Dealers

• Members
  • 3,069 posts
  • Interests:Motorcycles, Dirt and street. Spreading the truth about Stealerships
    Since the automotive industry killed my interest in cars,...

Life is hard. It's even Harder if you're stupid.

Posted 05 December 2015 - 10:10 PM

Well that's not what I want to hear. I'm going to atleast hear what they have to say.

You can receive their lip service, but if they're paying on flat rape; you're going to get f'd up. Unless there is a pay plan that protects you and guarantees income (salary, hourly wage) there is no sense in hearing the lies. Every stealer I ever worked at was the exact same (8 of them) BS In the interview: "We have so much work we can't get it out of the door". "Our techs are making $80k+/year. Our 'good techs' flag 150 hours a pay period". "We are 90% Customer Pay and 10% warranty work shop" "We can pay you a lower wage because you'll make that up in the amount of hours you'll be flagging in gravy". "We give reach around's" For the first couple of pay periods they let you get to that 90-115 hour mark, but after they see what you can do, they dump all the headaches and warranty on you and the hours earned plummet while the hours spent at the shop sky rocket. BTDT. I make more now with a pen and a computer (company supplied) then when I worked with expensive tools (That I supplied). No amount of lies from a stealership could ever lure me back in to the insanity/butt fucking.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users