Chicago area mechanics going on strike

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#21 ok44

ok44

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 1,393 posts
  • Interests:Fast cars, antique motorcycles, industrial machinery, guns, fishing and outdoors, guitars and music, and all things related to aviation.

Posted 11 August 2017 - 12:13 PM

Drawing 32 and hour on a 34 hour guarantee sounds like Heaven to me. I've never known any of the worthless dealers here in Oklahoma to provide a guarantee of any sort; much less contribute to a pension or anything else.

One dealer did come out one time offering a "Profit sharing" program but i wasn't dumb enough to buy into that. The few that did ended up sadly disappointed because the dealer never (allegedly...) made much of a profit at all. The wonders of creative accounting.....

#22 Karrpilot

Karrpilot

STAFF

• Staff
  • 6,113 posts
  • Interests:Ex Ford Tech 22 years.

Posted 11 August 2017 - 05:06 PM

Supposedly the mechanics are going to turn down this next latest offer at tomorrows vote. According to the latest article I just read on the Chicago Tribunes website. Yes, the dealers agreed to a slight pay increase over the length of the contract. But they still have not addressed the issue about free work being performed, and the mechanics not getting compensated for it. This is how a dealership owner pays off his Cancun vacation. By not paying his hired help.

I am not trying to bash the union here. I was one of the few that got reassigned to another unionized store during a house cleaning of mechanics back in the day. But the union certainly could have found another store closer to me. Instead of 40 miles one way.........

No longer working at dealerships. Government employee. Now i get paid to fix Fords.
ASE master tech
Private Pilot High Performance / Complex Rating.

#23 ok44

ok44

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 1,393 posts
  • Interests:Fast cars, antique motorcycles, industrial machinery, guns, fishing and outdoors, guitars and music, and all things related to aviation.

Posted 12 August 2017 - 10:28 PM

The latest is the union rejected the dealer offer. I don't know what the answer is on fixing this problem of compensation for free labor. It's an issue that's been around as long as I've turned wrenches and has only gotten worse due to clueless bean counters and their never ending war on flat rate times.

#24 Karrpilot

Karrpilot

STAFF

• Staff
  • 6,113 posts

Posted 13 August 2017 - 10:09 AM

You got that right. It's interesting that the media doesn't seem to care all that much regarding their coverage of the strike, and it's potential outcome. The last article I read on it from the Chicago Tribune was from 2 days ago.

When Ford first rammed their free multi-point inspections forms down our throats, we ripped them off the back of the repair orders, and threw them into the trash. The service manager had a fit, retrieved them out of the dumpster, and went on a rampage at our next service meeting.

For some strange reason, those meetings ceased not too long after. Without the issue getting resolved. Along with the free lunch pizza. I guess he thought that was compensation enough for free inspections..........

No longer working at dealerships. Government employee. Now i get paid to fix Fords.
ASE master tech

#25 von schlieffen

von schlieffen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 335 posts

Posted 14 August 2017 - 06:18 AM

The media isn't covering the strike because the general public doesn't understand flat rate and can't comprehend working uncompensated. Ask 100 random people and only the ones who personally know a mechanic will have heard of flat rate, and fewer still will understand who it works. To properly get the message across, the mechanics of 701 need to make their strike about "working for free." Everyone understands that!

#26 Karrpilot

Karrpilot

STAFF

• Staff
  • 6,113 posts

Posted 14 August 2017 - 04:50 PM

Most people think that if the labor rate is $130.00, that's what the mechanics get. They have no clue. If that was the case, our cars wouldn't look worse than what's on the wholesale lot in the back of the used up car sales building.

The Chicago Tribune reported today that the next meeting / negotiation session date has not been scheduled. Probably a ploy to drag this out even further, and force the mechanics to take any contract tossed their way.

ASE master tech

#27 ok44

ok44

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 14 August 2017 - 09:45 PM

I agree with you about the misguided perception by many people that if a repair is 500 bucks parts and labor they will assume that mechanic is getting rich by pocketing 500. More than once I've heard people say as much.

They don't understand that 500 bucks is a pie divided into many slices and the mechanic only gets a small slice.

#28 Mike N

Mike N

Staff Member

• Staff
  • 1,188 posts
  • Interests:Drag racing, Bass guitar.

Posted 15 August 2017 - 09:03 AM

They don't understand that 500 bucks is a pie divided into many slices and the mechanic only gets leftover crumbs.

Fixed.

Horsepower sells cars, Torque wins races.
1981 Camaro. 10.30's@130 mph.

#29 Karrpilot

Karrpilot

STAFF

• Staff
  • 6,113 posts

Posted 17 August 2017 - 07:13 PM

Still out on strike, still no media coverage or updates..............

ASE master tech

#30 ATS99

ATS99

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 18 August 2017 - 10:56 AM

I'm a former Local 701 dealership mechanic. The dealers absolutely contribute to 701's pension and welfare plans. Doesn't come out of the dues. I would think the dealer was contributing approx. 165 a week toward the pension plan. Possibly more. The pension plan is in rehabilitation stage. Here is a link. See pages 6 through 10. http://mech701-benef...tation Plan.pdf. I escaped from the flat rate madness over 18 years ago.  

Ex-Firestone Tech
Ex-Goodyear Tech
Ex-Ford Tech
Former IAM Local 701 member
Current IUOE Local 150 member

#31 Formula

Formula

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 54 posts

Posted 18 August 2017 - 05:26 PM

As of today 8/18, still no talks between the dealers and union.

Lots of disaster being reported from guys at other shops. The dealers are having service writers and porters work on cars (mostly oil changes and tire rotations).

One place had a truck fall off a lift. Another one had a wheel fall off as soon as the car pulled out of the dealer in front of the guys on strike. The best one is the same Honda dealer that shipped 2 cars without oil after an oil change. Both engines locked up down the road after the customers drove off. 

#32 Karrpilot

Karrpilot

STAFF

• Staff
  • 6,113 posts

Posted Yesterday, 06:08 AM

Formula, the vehicle that had the tires fall off in front of the strikers was from one of my prior employers. No doubt the retarded service manager had something to do with it. This was a guy who let 1/2 the crew take off the day after Thanksgiving, then loaded up the shop with LOF's, tire rotations and recalls. Without telling anyone. Even his service advisors. And of course he went boasting to the dealership owners. Hey guys! We have all kinds of work!

Great strategy there! Load up a shop with work that pays pennies, while the promised big ticket dollar amount work doesn't make it out the door. Really nice way to build ones customer base, satisfy them, and ensure repeat business! Way to go Einstein. Your business model is something you can be quite proud of.

Sad part about all of this is that after a dozen years or so, that brainchild service manager is still employed there, and the staffing levels are less than 1/2 since I left.

ASE master tech

#33 Formula

Formula

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 54 posts

Posted Yesterday, 07:11 AM

Karr, you are correct. From what we are hearing from the other guys, it was indeed the service manager who did the tire rotation on that vehicle.

#34 Karrpilot

Karrpilot

STAFF

• Staff
  • 6,113 posts

Posted Today, 06:03 AM

This is hilarious. A bright, smart, savvy service manager doing this kind of work, and failing miserably at it. Due to the fact that he crossed union lines, did work he was not qualified for, nor trained in, and damaged a customers vehicle in the process, I think he should go into his office, sit himself down, and then promptly fire himself. )    :lol:

It's not as if one of Salty's famous For Sale signs is going to be staked into the earth in front of the dealership if the buffoon had  just turned the customer away. For some strange reason, the good service manages leave, and the bad ones stay..........

ASE master tech

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users