Photo

Anyone making 100k close to it or more annually as a tech?

• Please log in to reply
79 replies to this topic

#61 von schlieffen

von schlieffen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 343 posts

Posted 06 January 2016 - 07:30 PM

Sort of, on the union rules. In every contract I've ever seen, they can staff however they want, however, if they overstaff, they just end up paying guys guarantee to stand around and do nothing. They have a weird idea that if the work doesn't get done that day, they'll lose it to an outside shop. After all, in their minds, it's still the 70s and all cars are more or less the same- anyone can fix them. In reality, I don't see many outside shops doing much "fixing"-- they're lucky if they can do a brake job without screwing something up. Just the reality of wrenching on modern cars, with ten pounds of shit crammed into a five pound bag. We're going through this right now, new big-dreaming general manager is pushing our much more down-to-earth service manager to hire a tech to fill each stall-- currently we have 22 lifts for 18 techs and we allocate the spares as needed. Problem is, right now most of our work is overhauling oil consumption engines and replacing truck frames (Toyota). The former job often leaves a vehicle down waiting for parts and the latter requires use of a second lift on which to transfer parts to build a new rolling chassis on a replacement frame. Real rocket scientists running that place.

#62 Karrpilot

Karrpilot

STAFF

• Staff
  • 6,173 posts
  • Interests:Ex Ford Tech 22 years.

Posted 06 January 2016 - 08:30 PM

My last union store, if you drew guarantee, you had better have another job lined up. That old buzzard was not about to pay anyone to stand around, even if there wasn't any work to be had. So we had a few choices here. Draw guarantee, and face the distinct possibility of a write up and or termination, go home and take a day off without pay, or wait until 5:00 pm. When the new car prep work was finally dispatched.

How about giving us the new cars to work on during the day? So that we could make some money, do something, and get off work on time? Well, that certainly wasn't about to happen. He was too afraid that once we tied up a stall with a new car, a paying customer might come in. As if he needed any more customers and or money. He once owned 5 stores at the height of his success.

I liked it when I went on vacation to finish up and get my pilot's license. I took the whole week off. The owner thought I would be coming back that Saturday to wrench. Ahh, NO. I was doing a little celebrating.)

No longer working at dealerships. Government employee. Now i get paid to fix Fords.
ASE master tech
Private Pilot High Performance / Complex Rating.

#63 fullsizeblazin

fullsizeblazin

Screwed by Car Dealers

• Members
  • 3,069 posts
  • Interests:Motorcycles, Dirt and street. Spreading the truth about Stealerships
    Since the automotive industry killed my interest in cars,...

Life is hard. It's even Harder if you're stupid.

Posted 06 January 2016 - 10:56 PM

Well now KP, I guess we'll have to give away all your scheduled gravy and up sells to the techs that will come in on Saturday...

#64 Deeks

Deeks

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 370 posts
  • Interests:Watching the wheels go round and round

Posted 07 January 2016 - 02:40 PM

$100,000k ...nope. Actually according to year end pay slip down another $2000 from last for a total loss of $18K  since 2009 yet the GM and FOM make more now.

Title of this thread should really be 'Did any FOM/GM NOT get a raise this year'

#65 ok44

ok44

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 1,412 posts
  • Interests:Fast cars, antique motorcycles, industrial machinery, guns, fishing and outdoors, guitars and music, and all things related to aviation.

Posted 07 January 2016 - 02:48 PM

My personal opinion (which is worth...) is that every mechanic should have a minimum 2 stalls available and preferably three with at least 2 of them having lifts. These moron managers can't seem to grasp the concept of massive time wasting by having one stall per mechanic and with said  mechanic spending a 1/3 of the day waiting...and waiting....and waiting or having to push something back out the door because some customer "has to think about it" or the phone isn't being answered. That of course eats up time belonging to others who have to chip in and push some POS back out........

At a dealer where I once worked and which eventually folded I stayed swamped simply because some mechanics had quit and their stalls became mine. There was not a minute of idle time. I'd bring in a car, hand the parts dept. a list, and zing to the dispatcher for another job. Repeat process all day long. At one time I had 5 stalls to myself and it was work down the row ($$$) all day long.

Those moron managers can't seem to grasp that morale is much, much higher if you have 10 guys flagging 60 hours in a 40 hour week rather than 15 guys flagging 40 or even worse; 20 guys flagging 30 and having to work Saturdays to even get that.

#66 Karrpilot

Karrpilot

STAFF

• Staff
  • 6,173 posts

Posted 07 January 2016 - 08:17 PM

Blazin, I was told I would be getting gravy work. I was also told that this was a job I could retire from. Guess I should have asked him if the check was in the mail too.

When I found out my upsells were being scheduled in on my day off to other techs, that was when I started to fire off the job applications, resumes, and plan my job interviews. Needless to say, due to that fact, this was how I found my current job.

No longer working at dealerships. Government employee. Now i get paid to fix Fords.
ASE master tech

#67 ok44

ok44

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 1,412 posts
  • Interests:Fast cars, antique motorcycles, industrial machinery, guns, fishing and outdoors, guitars and music, and all things related to aviation.

Posted 08 January 2016 - 12:16 AM

Doling out your upsells to someone else is about as lowlife and chickenshit as it gets.

I had someone pull that crap on me one time. Once. I found some upsells on a VW aircooled fuel injected Bus and the owner said he'd think about it. A month goes by and I get handed a ticket that stated "Repair Thunking Noise". I get the Bus, put it on the lift, and found all of the rear engine mount bolts loose. They also looked like they had just been apart.

I approached the service writer about this and he told me the Bus had just been in our shop for a bunch of work which included removal of the engine for a main seal, etc.

Come to find out the upsell job of mine had been handed off to someone else and the tech who got my job had just run the Bus out the door half an hour before. Naturally they wanted me to tighten the mount bolts and they would "make it up to me on the next job".

#68 fullsizeblazin

fullsizeblazin

Screwed by Car Dealers

• Members
  • 3,069 posts
  • Interests:Motorcycles, Dirt and street. Spreading the truth about Stealerships
    Since the automotive industry killed my interest in cars,...

Life is hard. It's even Harder if you're stupid.

Posted 08 January 2016 - 09:01 AM

All of my big gravy up sells were always scheduled for the Saturday I wasn't working. Then the Service Manager had the nerve to say "we have to schedule work when it's convenient for the customer, not when you can make money". I lit his ass up. Told him what a sorry sack of shit he was and the service writer. I wasn't the only one this happened to. It was their favorite game to play. And then they would bitch about me flagging all the hourly apprentices hours on Saturday. Once the apprentice knew he was just making gravy for the dealer, he would do the work and let me flag the ticket. When I was told the apprentice is "not my bitch" I would say, "sorry, I came her on my time away from my friends and family to make money. Not to stand around all day while the dealer makes money" or "sorry, I never got that 'next job' that was promised after I was robbed of my up sells". I got written up for it, then the very next Saturday I worked I did it all over again. The SM face turned dark read while I had a smile on my face and said the same shit all over again. Sorry dude, maybe you should of been here with us instead of spending time with your family and friends making sure that I would continue to get f'd up.

#69 Mike N

Mike N

Staff Member

• Staff
  • 1,213 posts
  • Interests:Drag racing, Bass guitar.

Posted 08 January 2016 - 06:21 PM

I lost count as to how many times my upsells were given away to other techs, even on days I was there.

Horsepower sells cars, Torque wins races.
1981 Camaro. 10.30's@130 mph.

#70 Karrpilot

Karrpilot

STAFF

• Staff
  • 6,173 posts

Posted 08 January 2016 - 06:37 PM

And to that, kiddies, is why one will not make that magical $100 K mark. At least not with a wrench in ones hand.....

ASE master tech

#71 downdrafttube

downdrafttube

Advanced Member

• Inner Circle Member
  • 112 posts
  • Interests:wood working, gardening, old movies

Posted 03 January 2018 - 01:08 PM

The most that I ever grossed in a year as a dealer tech was 58 k, there were years that I averaged 140 frh every 2 weeks for the year but that was back in the 90,s. But I came up With a plan years ago ( saw the writing on the wall ) . I invested until it hurt, stock market and commercial property. If I get the SS disability Ill be grossing over 6 figures with all my investments.
Ford Master tech
A.S.E. Master cert
MACS cert
A.S.E Parts cert tech

#72 Karrpilot

Karrpilot

STAFF

• Staff
  • 6,173 posts

Posted 03 January 2018 - 07:06 PM

I made pretty good coin last year, but that was doing 50 hour work weeks for almost 1/2 the year. This was due to having SO many new vehicles come in all at once, and us having to up fit them with the necessary equipment for all of our various departments.

And of course, that many new vehicles means all the old vehicles had to go to auction. So those vehicles needed to be stripped and put back in saleable order. For the longest time, I kept putting off my vacation in order to take advantage of the overtime valve being turned on.

ASE master tech

#73 dustychicken

dustychicken

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 205 posts
  • Interests:Cars, trucks, machines, girls, music.

Posted 04 January 2018 - 05:36 PM

I've never made more than $58k myself, but then again I realized it's not worth it to bust my ass for twelve or fourteen hours a day, every day, just to do piddly 0.2 and 0.4 hour jobs.  I did manage to get myself a teaching gig at my old college, so I make an additional grand a month for five hours a week.  Currently going back to school to get some more transfer credits, then head off to get a bachelor's degree in automotive so I can start teaching full time with higher pay.

I still enjoy the work, but I want it to be a hobby again, not a daily chore.  And teaching is way more rewarding, not just financially.

And yes, my school still has the "Earn up to $100k a year!" brochures in every classroom.  My buddy and I drill it into our students' heads that that is a pipe dream for the vast majority of technicians, but we try not to dissuade them from going into this field if they really want to.  The world still needs techs, but we want to make sure the students know what they're getting into.

#74 downdrafttube

downdrafttube

Advanced Member

• Inner Circle Member
  • 112 posts
  • Interests:wood working, gardening, old movies

Posted 11 January 2018 - 10:55 AM

I do know where you can make 100k magic number . Right here in Alaska working on heavy equipment, diesels engines but it’s in the big gold mines or up on the north slope . Great for a single guy .
Ford Master tech
A.S.E. Master cert
MACS cert
A.S.E Parts cert tech

#75 Karrpilot

Karrpilot

STAFF

• Staff
  • 6,173 posts

Posted 11 January 2018 - 09:07 PM

I heard that the ratio of men to women up in Alaska was 10 to 1. So even with making 100K, what's one to do with it? I also heard that the women in Alaska have a certain saying, and I quote: The odds are good, but the goods are odd.)

ASE master tech

#76 von schlieffen

von schlieffen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 343 posts

Posted 13 January 2018 - 06:24 PM

Had a very slow year and was down quite a bit. Collected guarantee many, many weeks. Managed 80k (if you think that sounds good, wanna see what I pay in property taxes on my 1200sf house in the ghetto?). Hopefully things pick up but I sure don't think I'll be seeing anything close to that 100k mark anytime soon. Mainly I've just learned to expect to make guarantee, and anything extra is a pleasant surprise. We'll see how 2018 goes. The kids are getting older and more expensive. I on the other hand am getting older and less motivated.

#77 ok44

ok44

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 1,412 posts

Posted 13 January 2018 - 10:04 PM

Thank God I'm retired now and clean out of the flat rate rat race. The house is long paid off and luckily in this part of OK property taxes are cheap. Mine is 175 a year for a large 2 story on a big corner lot and I'll take that any day.

I'm a gearhead by nature and love to tinker but over the past 6 months I've gotten to the point I hate to even see a tool box and loathe changing my own oil now. I never thought I'd see the day when I hated to turn a wrench...........

Guess those years of flat rate and dealer BS have just made me bitter......

On a related note regarding a dealer I used to work for many years ago, they went under. Sued by many including the lease holders of the building. Court records are online here in OK and according to the ensuing lawsuit those weasels were actually gutting the building and selling everything that wasn't cemented down. They even sold all the light fixtures and wall sockets........ seriously.

And every month on cue during the regular meeting we had to listen to lectures about positive attitude and honesty.......

#78 von schlieffen

von schlieffen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 343 posts

Posted 14 January 2018 - 03:03 PM

Did you mean to say $175 a year? Or was that a typo. What about schools, roads, trash pickup, snow plowing. Does your municipality have a money tree growing behind city hall or something?

"Cheap taxes" in NJ means you're paying less than $10,000/ year. And that only exists if you live in Camden or way out in the swamp.

#79 ok44

ok44

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 1,412 posts

Posted 14 January 2018 - 06:12 PM

It's not a typo. Matter of fact, I just got my tax notice a few weeks ago and it's not 175. It's a 171 even.

We don't have enough snow to worry about and trash pickup is done by the town of. Trash runs 14 dollars a month with weekly pickup. Schools are well taken care of out of property taxes. Very well with the glut of wind farms.

#80 von schlieffen

von schlieffen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 343 posts

Posted Yesterday, 05:13 PM

I just can't wrap my mind around that! It's like it doesn't add up. How is it that the cost of providing services can vary so much from one place to the next? Some things-- like infrastructure-- sure. The water and sewer pipes under my street are from the 1880s and have a tendency to both break often and be hard to locate when it happens. That sort of thing partially accounts for it. But other things don't really vary so much from place to place. If a public works employee or schoolteacher here that makes 80k per year only makes 55k there, that doesn't account for the huge cost discrepancy. Fire, ambulance, police, regulatory agencies- these too may operate cheaper but they still cost money anywhere you go. What is it that makes the big difference??

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users