6 replies to this topic

#1 BlueOvalFitter

BlueOvalFitter

Advanced Member

• Inner Circle Member
  • 1,052 posts
  • Interests:Guns,60s & 70s muscle cars,Cajun cooking

Posted 04 January 2018 - 07:58 PM

Man, I have become like a step child on here lately, having to get you techs to bail me out.  :)

Okay, here's my latest problem. As you know we have had some very cold weather lately, esp. here in Louisiana. The last few nights it has got down to 20*-23* with a real feel of 6*-10*. Today I had to stop at WM to set up my new Medicare Part D plan. The temperature at 9:30 AM was a balmy 24*. Upon leaving WM, I got in my truck, started it, turned on the heater, and sat there for a few minutes to look over my new WM meds. Out the corner of my eye I saw the red brake light warning symbol come on, on the dash. I pushed the brake pedal, which felt normal (very firm as always) and the light went out immediately when I started to to push the pedal. I always keep an eye on my fluids, but I did get out and checked it to be sure that no one was mad at me and cut my lines.  :D

All was good. Okay you smart techs, can you please search your craniums and possibly tell me why that light came on?

I'm thinking one of 2 things;

1) The cold weather might have something to do with it?

2) That ABS sensor above the differential might be going bad?

Thanks gentlemen, as usual. (And, any lady techs as well)   :)

Oh, BTW, I had my brake fluid flushed about a year and a half ago by my cousin. It was dirty.  :blink:

2007 F150,XL,4.2V6,auto,Dark Blue Pearl Metallic
The anticipation of death is worse than death itself!
Mess with the best,die like the rest;US ARMY!

NRA Life Member

#2 Karrpilot

Karrpilot

STAFF

• Staff
  • 6,185 posts
  • Interests:Ex Ford Tech 22 years.

Posted 04 January 2018 - 08:09 PM

You are not going to like what I am about to tell you, but here goes. We had a whole host of our 2007 Ford F-150's doing the very same things. Turning on the red brake light indicator, with no corresponding brake issue. Turns out, the problem was in the PC board of the instrument cluster.

Cold weather does aggravate the issue. Next time it does this, push / pull / slap the cluster and or the top of the dashboard. If the light starts to go on and off, you found the problem! Before tossing a brake master cylinder at it. Which, I might add, won't fix it.

If this is indeed the case, you will more than likely have to send out your instrument cluster for repairs. I have used instrument clusters dot com. They quote you a price, which includes shipping labels both ways, and they fix your existing unit. No having to go back to the dealer, no reprogramming, and fast turn around time.

No longer working at dealerships. Government employee. Now i get paid to fix Fords.
ASE master tech
Private Pilot High Performance / Complex Rating.

#3 BlueOvalFitter

BlueOvalFitter

Advanced Member

• Inner Circle Member
  • 1,052 posts

Posted 04 January 2018 - 10:25 PM

KP, it's been colder than the usual temps. around here lately. Why now? Do you think my cluster is damaged? What are the chances of it happening again? If the the brake warning light came on, and you say it could be the cluster, will it start effecting other indicators on my cluster? 

NRA Life Member

#4 BlueOvalFitter

BlueOvalFitter

Advanced Member

• Inner Circle Member
  • 1,052 posts

Posted 04 January 2018 - 11:15 PM

KP, I sent my information to the site you stated in your reply.

Check this video out;

https://youtu.be/jEvhjEWXa4I

NRA Life Member

#5 Karrpilot

Karrpilot

STAFF

• Staff
  • 6,185 posts
  • Interests:Ex Ford Tech 22 years.

Posted 05 January 2018 - 06:45 AM

That's pretty much it. The board pulls away from the PC and breaks contact. Boss wanted it fixed right, so we sent out the clusters. This was the only issues we were having at the time.

That way, when they all went to auction, there were no other issues we had to proclaim on the sales sheet.

No longer working at dealerships. Government employee. Now i get paid to fix Fords.
ASE master tech
Private Pilot High Performance / Complex Rating.

#6 BlueOvalFitter

BlueOvalFitter

Advanced Member

• Inner Circle Member
  • 1,052 posts

Posted 05 January 2018 - 09:39 AM

Check out what this guy did. I am very capable of doing this myself. I have A LOT of soldering experience. Anything from circuit boards up to 6" copper pipe. I am a retired pipefitter/welder/ABC school pipefitter instructor/ journeyman plumber.

https://youtu.be/RJnb80sSlw4

NRA Life Member

#7 downdrafttube

downdrafttube

Advanced Member

• Inner Circle Member
  • 112 posts
  • Interests:wood working, gardening, old movies

Posted 14 January 2018 - 11:26 AM

I vote it’s the cluster, saw it all the time up here , as stated above just slap the top of the dash above the cluster it will either come on or go off. The same thing with the accessory delay relay staying energized ( radio, power windows , adjustable pedals, and door lock illumination) staying on or not working.
Ford Master tech
A.S.E. Master cert
MACS cert
A.S.E Parts cert tech

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users