1 reply to this topic

#1 BlueOvalFitter

BlueOvalFitter

Advanced Member

• Inner Circle Member
  • 1,052 posts
  • Interests:Guns,60s & 70s muscle cars,Cajun cooking

Posted 03 January 2016 - 12:11 PM

1996 Corolla DX, 1.8 Engine, Auto, 240K Miles (Or Close To It)

GM Toyota Techs. This is my sons car. He is the second owner. It has been a great car, up until lately. I bought it for him with 112K miles on it. The previous owner drove it to work and back only, 52 miles each way, to save on gas.

At about 200K miles the CEL came on and it would not start. Eventually it would start. But, this would happen every now and then, it not starting. The code scanned "BAD CRANK SENSOR." We replaced it with one from AutoZone (  Posted Image please don't beat me up too bad) because it had a lifetime warranty. After about 6-9 months the CEL came on again. Same code again. Long story short, it has done this several times and my son just keeps replacing the sensor. 

Just lately it has started doing it more often. This morning he went to a store about 1.5 miles from his house. It did not want to start. Eventually it started and the CEL came on again. Same code, again. I keep trying to suggest he get it professionally analyzed but that's like talking to a brick. 

NOW, he has finally come to his senses and said he will do as I suggest. I usually post in the FORD section here so I figure you Toyota Techs are the real deal when it comes to Toyota's. Can anyone please try to tell me what is going on, can I fix this or a professional needs to step in, or, just turn the car into a HUGE yard ornament? I am thinking it needs a new starter, or, rebuild the one on it, as a starting spot. About the crank sensor problem, I am clueless. 

Any help you can suggest is GREATLY appreciated!

2007 F150,XL,4.2V6,auto,Dark Blue Pearl Metallic
The anticipation of death is worse than death itself!
Mess with the best,die like the rest;US ARMY!

NRA Life Member

#2 shotime2511

shotime2511

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 376 posts

Posted 03 January 2016 - 07:43 PM

Replace it with an OE sensor. Probably a Denso.

Important engine management sensors are not one to roll the aftermarket dice on.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users