#1 BlueOvalFitter

BlueOvalFitter

Advanced Member

• Inner Circle Member
  • 1,035 posts
  • Interests:Guns,60s & 70s muscle cars,Cajun cooking

Posted 20 October 2017 - 10:02 AM

https://bobistheoilg...opics/4549062/1

This is an oil, filter, grease, and about anything related to oil website.

This thread is about the Motorcraft FL-400S oil filter. These clowns are downing ANYTHING that is made by PUROLATOR, who they think is behind these problems and are condemning Motorcraft oil filters now.

Opinions, please?

2007 F150,XL,4.2V6,auto,Dark Blue Pearl Metallic
The anticipation of death is worse than death itself!
Mess with the best,die like the rest;US ARMY!

NRA Life Member

#2 Mike N

Mike N

Staff Member

• Staff
  • 1,203 posts
  • Interests:Drag racing, Bass guitar.

Posted 20 October 2017 - 07:52 PM

I wouldn't go condemning the Motorcraft filters just yet. I've found that guys on that website think that every engine needs the most expensive synthetic oil and filter available and both should be changed every other week.

My opinion on filters.... and remember you asked, is this..... Oil filters to an extent are overrated. And what I mean by that is damn near every production engine has a filter bypass, so if the filter becomes plugged, falls apart internally or just can't handle the amount of oil the pump is trying to shove through it, the bypass opens and allows unfiltered oil through so the bearings don't run dry. Regardless of you running a megabuck filter versus a $1.99 Vato Zone special, you're always going to get some degree of unfiltered oil past it.

With that being said, I usually use the Napa or Carquest cheapo filters (that Wix makes) and I've yet to have an oil related failure on any of my vehicles. Most of my cars have over 100K on them and my wife's truck has 300K on the original engine.

Horsepower sells cars, Torque wins races.
1981 Camaro. 10.30's@130 mph.

#3 Karrpilot

Karrpilot

STAFF

• Staff
  • 6,142 posts
  • Interests:Ex Ford Tech 22 years.

Posted 21 October 2017 - 12:37 PM

That's the biggest lie I have heard since slick willy told us he didn't put the pipe to Monica. I have used Purolator and just about everyone else oil filters since I started driving in the 1970's. If I needed an oil change, I used what ever oil and filter was on sale at that time. And I still do to this day. I am still a cheapie.

Ford basically is doing whatever they can to deny and void a warranty and or claim. I ran into 2 articles recently. Ford says that piston slap is normal on their F-150, and a Shelby GT. Really? Try telling that to the owner who just dropped 70 K on it. Let me know how that conversation goes.

Besides, just about every part I get that says FMC on it, also says Made In China. I have not looked at their oil filters lately, but it wouldn't surprise me any to see the very same exact lettering........

No longer working at dealerships. Government employee. Now i get paid to fix Fords.
ASE master tech
Private Pilot High Performance / Complex Rating.

#4 ok44

ok44

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 1,410 posts
  • Interests:Fast cars, antique motorcycles, industrial machinery, guns, fishing and outdoors, guitars and music, and all things related to aviation.

Posted 21 October 2017 - 11:22 PM

There's a lot of bogus information out there about filters and Bobistheoilguy has its fair share. Thousands of clowns cut open filters on the picnic table in the backyard and claim to see all kinds of demons.

There's not a filter made that someone isn't trashing as being shoddily made. The only inferior filters I've ever seen in going on 40 years of wrenching are some of the generic "white box" or "yellow box" filters that have no markings and are identified by only a fitment number. Those filters are usually only found (rarely) in some fast lube facilities.

They're sold on the dirt cheap to facilities who are either willing to take a chance on them or knowingly selling crap filters. A dealer I worked for got a flyer on some this stuff once and thankfully did not order any oil filters. However, they did order air filters and some of those came back with complaints of not fitting the air filter housing tightly. That was the ones with astute car owners who could tell the difference.

As for Wix, Purolator, Fram, STP, Bosch, Wal Mart Super Tech, AutoZone, or whatever; they're all fine.

I've seen one filter failure in my entire life and that was a cheap Chinese "white box" filter in which the element started dissolving at less than 500 miles. And unfortunately, that was on my BMW motorcycle. The BMW dealer had suggested them as they were 25% of the price of the OEMs. A few weeks later i dropped into the shop and he frantically warned me about the filters failing. I went right home and removed the filter.

Normally it was a 5 minute job, I spent a full hour digging that filter frame and the muck out of the engine block cavity. The element resembled congealed toilet paper. Thankfully I got it out before the engine was wiped. The BMW dealer scrapped all of the existing filters he had.

#5 Karrpilot

Karrpilot

STAFF

• Staff
  • 6,142 posts

Posted 22 October 2017 - 08:46 AM

My last Ford store had Mighty oil filters and flavor of the month oil in the lube tank.

And then advised they used genuine Ford and Motor Craft parts.....

No longer working at dealerships. Government employee. Now i get paid to fix Fords.
ASE master tech

#6 Mike N

Mike N

Staff Member

• Staff
  • 1,203 posts

Posted 22 October 2017 - 11:40 AM

We use Carquest Red oil filters at the shop, prior to that we had Parts Plus filters which were the same shade of blue as an AC Delco oil filter.  The CQ filters are made by Wix but we don't pay more than $2 for any given filter, other than the occasional expensive VW or BMW filter.

You can tell by the light weight of the filters that there's likely little if any filtering media within it.

#7 BlueOvalFitter

BlueOvalFitter

Advanced Member

• Inner Circle Member
  • 1,035 posts

Posted 22 October 2017 - 09:20 PM

I have been at the hospital for the last 3 days reading the replies to this thread but not being able to respond. Now that I'm back home..........

I have been using MC filters, be it oil, fuel, air, transmission, etc., for years with NO PROBLEMS at all! All of a sudden you get a few members on this oil website claiming that their FL-820 is tearing all the time, or an FL-400S has a seam unglued, blah, blah, blah! Then, all it takes is one member there to state not to use said filters and you have a bandwagon that is overloaded with members swearing to never use said filters again! 

Oh man, you should see how they rip PUROLATOR a new A**! PUROLATOR is a dirty word on that website. I called PUROLATOR this past Friday and they too are aware of this website and their BS as well. Sometimes I use a FRAM ULTRA XG-3600, but that is the ONLY other oil filter that I have used on my engine.

Yeah, I was curious as to what you guys thought about the oil filter debacle over there. 

:blink:  :rolleyes: 

NRA Life Member

#8 Karrpilot

Karrpilot

STAFF

• Staff
  • 6,142 posts

Posted 23 October 2017 - 05:43 AM

I had a 1978 Chevrolet impala back in the day with that garbage 305 boat anchor under the hood. The camshaft went flat like they ALL did. Out came the engine, and in went a 327. Problem solved.

My boss saw a Purolator oil filter on the 305, and said that was why my camshaft went bad. Sure. Tell another bed time story. I am all ears......

ASE master tech

#9 BlueOvalFitter

BlueOvalFitter

Advanced Member

• Inner Circle Member
  • 1,035 posts

Posted 23 October 2017 - 06:29 AM

KP, what A LOT of people forget, or don't know at all is, PUROLATOR invented the oil filter. I know, you and all of the techs here know this, but it's for those that don't;

PUROLATOR=Pure Oil Later.............That was their motto back in 1923  when they invented the oil filter. Given that, I think PUROLATOR knows what they are doing when it comes to making oil filters. And, they are currently owned by MANN-HUMMEL, which is a German company. And, as we all know, those Germans have their sh** together!

KP, and the other techs here, you should go look around on that oil website in the oil filter section and see what I mean about how they are ALWAYS reporting a PUROLATOR oil filter always tearing. 

I am the ONLY member there that calls BULL SH** to those stories! I tell them they are tearing them on their own to get their "15 MINUTES OF FAME" and it doesn't go over too well. I even stated that I too have a PUROLATOR oil filter that I will cut open and I GUARANTEE it will have tears in it, because I told them I was going to tear it intentionally so I can be in the "15 MINUTES OF FAME" club! LMAO!   :D  :lol: 

NRA Life Member

#10 BlueOvalFitter

BlueOvalFitter

Advanced Member

• Inner Circle Member
  • 1,035 posts

Posted 23 October 2017 - 08:42 PM

That's it, no more responses? Did anyone go to that site and look around? Ok, I guess no one has any opinions on PUROLATOR oil filters but me. Hmmmmmm.............. :rolleyes: 

NRA Life Member

#11 Mike N

Mike N

Staff Member

• Staff
  • 1,203 posts

Posted 23 October 2017 - 09:11 PM

My opinion on filters is in post #2.

#12 BlueOvalFitter

BlueOvalFitter

Advanced Member

• Inner Circle Member
  • 1,035 posts

Posted 25 October 2017 - 07:33 AM

Mike N., what brand & weight oil do you use in your Camaro (In the avatar)?

You state that you use CQ and WIX brand oil filters. What brand name oil do you prefer, if any one particular one?

NRA Life Member

#13 Mike N

Mike N

Staff Member

• Staff
  • 1,203 posts

Posted 25 October 2017 - 06:31 PM

I use conventional Napa 10w40 in the Camaro, Napa synthetic blend 5w30 in my other cars except my wife's 13 Subaru, and in that I use Napa full synthetic 0w20. I have a commercial account at my local Napa and I rarely pay more than $2 a quart for conventional or blend and $3 a quart for full synthetic.

Last I knew, Napa oil is made by Valvoline.

#14 laser_red

laser_red

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 11 November 2017 - 03:37 PM

I think in a few more years, the can type filter will be a thing of the past and it will be harder to hide substandard construction.

#15 ok44

ok44

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 1,410 posts
  • Interests:Fast cars, antique motorcycles, industrial machinery, guns, fishing and outdoors, guitars and music, and all things related to aviation.

Posted 12 November 2017 - 02:11 AM

Exactly what is substandard about a Purolator, SuperTech, or what have you filter?

As for canister filters, you might read the latter part of my previous post where I referred to BMW canister filters. The filters looked and felt great..............

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users