• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 lortech

lortech

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 326 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 03:39 PM

Without doing more work aka, more then trying to take off the cam cover and unbolding the mount, I want to know if the belt on this engine may have jumped time. In this illustration http://ww2.justanswe...71002_marks.jpg It shows the red mark ligned up with the v mark in the timming cover. Would this be TDC? In my case, I put a 1/4 extention in the #1 cylinder and rotated the engine untill it stopped at the top. The white mark...the one to the far right of the three other marks, is aligned up with the TDC v notch in the timming cover. Would this mean that the belt jumped time? The Dry start RPMS on two of the four cylinders has a much higher turn rpm, then the other cylinders. If this is in time, then what are the chances the rings are stuck? I have only seen this on a honda del sole once and really through me the wrong direction thinking it was a belt. I resolved it accidently by doing a wet compression test which freed the rings. Thanks

#2 lortech

lortech

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 326 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 08:43 PM

I just talked to the owner. He said about two weeks ago, he shut off the engine and did not use the car for two weeks. Then went to try and start it, and it would not start. It is clear the compresson is really week on one or two cylinders. What is the likelyhood there was some injectors leaking, causing a backfire and causing the crank to kickbackwards and the teeth to jump time? I will ask for approval to take off timming belt if he wants to go that far.

#3 fullsizeblazin

fullsizeblazin

Screwed by Car Dealers

• Members
  • 3,066 posts
  • Interests:Motorcycles, Dirt and street. Spreading the truth about Stealerships
    Since the automotive industry killed my interest in cars,...

Life is hard. It's even Harder if you're stupid.

Posted 27 September 2012 - 10:44 PM

I just talked to the owner. He said about two weeks ago, he shut off the engine and did not use the car for two weeks. Then went to try and start it, and it would not start. It is clear the compresson is really week on one or two cylinders. What is the likelyhood there was some injectors leaking, causing a backfire and causing the crank to kickbackwards and the teeth to jump time?

I will ask for approval to take off timming belt if he wants to go that far.

Slim to none. Verify proper timing, and do a dry and wet compression test. A good way to tell if the timing is off, is by the distributor. If it is fully turned clockwise, chances are whoever did the timing belt, installed it with the cam 1 tooth off and they compensated by fully advancing the distributor.

It doesn't get any easier than a 95 Honda civic.
Chances are, the rings are shot, but it shouldn't prevent it from starting.

#4 lortech

lortech

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 326 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 01:25 PM

I will check the distributor did not think of that. The customer did state, a friend put to much oil in the engine and it was comming out the dip stick tube. I am going to turn over each cylinder, and blow air from my compression guage hose into the cylinder and feel how much if any air is escaping. If its leaking bad, bent valves. if not, oil hydralic lock causing connecting rods to bend? I dont think so but will see by putting in a 1/4 inch extention into each hole, and measuring its hight above the valve cover.

#5 fullsizeblazin

fullsizeblazin

Screwed by Car Dealers

• Members
  • 3,066 posts
  • Interests:Motorcycles, Dirt and street. Spreading the truth about Stealerships

Posted 28 September 2012 - 02:14 PM

Those Rods are weak and will Bend in a heartbeat if hydro locked. Cylinder leakage tester is your friend.

#6 lortech

lortech

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 326 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 03:32 PM

Here is what I just checked. Piston height is good. I never thought of this test in the past but its a sure easy way to know if the rods are bent. Put a 1/4 inch extention in hole. Goto TDC and put on electrical tape and align with edge of spark plug hole. The use the same extention for all holes. Tape aligned perfect. So rods are okay. After doing TDC for all pistons blew air into the cylinders with compression guage line. I got some pretty good leakage. I filled the hole with some brake cleaner and some Tool cutting oil. Cycled the crank a few times then put the plugs back in. NOW the starting compression is normal. Each cylce is even.

I guess he has some previos stuck rings.

Anyway, I turned the engine over for #1 going to TDC. Checked the distributore, its off. It is off at the edge of the distributor rotor about 20 degrees.

Going back to this picture, http://ww2.justanswe...71002_marks.jpg the timming matches this picture. The single line to the right of the three timming marks is aligned up with the V notch in the timming cover but not sure if this is the correct time. I believe it should be the red line.

The plugs are gapped like 300 thousands. I was thinking wow, when were the last time these were changed! so, low compression wide gap means no fire! possible there was a fuel flood and it kicked back on the moring it started and jumped time. the belt is some what loose.

#7 lortech

lortech

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 326 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 06:02 PM

I am going to bring this to the main forum. MitchelDIY for some reason, is not showing timming belt info.

#8 fullsizeblazin

fullsizeblazin

Screwed by Car Dealers

• Members
  • 3,066 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 10:45 PM

You could try filling the tops of the pistons with trans fluid, but only enough to where it sits on the rings, and let it soak in and it might free them up enough to gain a little compression. Don't try and turn over the engine with trans fluid ontop of the pistons because you'll definitely hydro lock it.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users