• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 don96exp

don96exp

Advanced Member

• Inner Circle Member
  • 124 posts

Posted 24 November 2017 - 06:27 PM

2008 Uplander 3.9L, oil leak at oil filter adapter.
Has anyone done one of these. There are two small diameter coolant hoses on the oil filter housing adapter, can I remove the adapter enough to sneek a new gasket in without draining the coolant.

#2 Karrpilot

Karrpilot

STAFF

• Staff
  • 6,152 posts
  • Interests:Ex Ford Tech 22 years.

Posted 25 November 2017 - 09:02 AM

My fleet account isn't playing nice today. Perhaps GM is doing some maintenance / updates to it over thanksgiving. So I pulled up the picture of it on Rock Auto. Me thinks you will have to take said coolant hoses off of it to get it to drop down. Not sure if GM was nice enough to give you the hose length to do it otherwise.

But it might just be in your best interests to indeed drain the coolant out anyway, and get rid of that nasty dex cruel coolant if you have not done so already. And replace it with the green stuff. I did that to my Pontiac before the warranty was even up.

No longer working at dealerships. Government employee. Now i get paid to fix Fords.
ASE master tech
Private Pilot High Performance / Complex Rating.

#3 Bob K

Bob K

Advanced Member

• Inner Circle Member
  • 227 posts

Posted 26 November 2017 - 09:50 AM

Follow those coolant hose and see where they go. If they go into a cooler rather than the radiator there is oil and not coolant in them. Most engine oil coolers circulate the oil thru a cooler. Not antifreeze.

#4 Karrpilot

Karrpilot

STAFF

• Staff
  • 6,152 posts

Posted 26 November 2017 - 03:32 PM

Bob, have you ever worked on any Ford vehicles? Their V-8 and V-10 oil coolers do indeed have coolant flowing in the oil coolers. That's how they are cooled. From what I have read in the past, the engines cooling system runs at least 40 degrees cooler than the oil in the oil pans.

And the picture I saw of the Uplanders oil filter adapter on Rock Autos site, looks quite similar to a Ford van oil cooler.

No longer working at dealerships. Government employee. Now i get paid to fix Fords.
ASE master tech

#5 don96exp

don96exp

Advanced Member

• Inner Circle Member
  • 124 posts

Posted 26 November 2017 - 04:55 PM

Thanks to all for their replies. The hoses on the oil filter adapter go to a tee in a heater hose. I'm amazed at how many plastic tee's and 90deg elbow's are in the coolant system, the oil cooler, rear heater core, etc!
Picked up a fuel pro gasket, looks Wednesday will be a good day to work outside, a vacation day for sure.

#6 Bob K

Bob K

Advanced Member

• Inner Circle Member
  • 227 posts

Posted 27 November 2017 - 11:55 AM

Karrpilot,  I haven't worked on too many Fords. I retired 24 years ago from GM. But for the most part oil coolers work like the ford V/8 you mentioned. To me it doesn't make sense to route hot coolant to a small oil filter adapter to cool the oil. It doesn't seem like there would be very much heat dissipated from that small oil filter adapter.

#7 Karrpilot

Karrpilot

STAFF

• Staff
  • 6,152 posts

Posted 27 November 2017 - 06:45 PM

On Ford vehicles, they route the coolant hoses through and along with the lower radiator hose before it goes to the oil cooler adapter. So in essence, there is cold water going into the oil cooler adapter.

And yes, there really isn't much surface area of the oil filter adapter to speak of. This is more than likely the auto makers being cheap. It's only doing just enough to get by.

I certainly wouldn't trust that system alone and as is if I was to be towing anything. A bigger transmission cooler along with perhaps a bigger oil cooler (if available) would be on my to do list.

ASE master tech

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users