• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Cooters94

Cooters94

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 167 posts

Posted 09 August 2017 - 02:11 PM

Anyone seen this on the new Explorers? Apparently several drivers in texas have passed out while behind the wheel. Only happening on police interceptors. Ford is blaming the upfitters for drilling holes in the body allowing exhaust fumes into the cabin. Ford has said they have a software update for the climate control that will switch to fresh air under hard acceleration. We have a few of these in our fleet now. We bought a carbon monoxide tester and have been getting as high as 14 ppm in some vehicles which apparently isn't deadly but can cause issues with prolonged use. These vehicles have already been upfitted but i doubt there are any holes in the body. We just got a new shipment of unmolested Explorers and are going to test them as well. 

#2 Karrpilot

Karrpilot

STAFF

• Staff
  • 6,153 posts
  • Interests:Ex Ford Tech 22 years.

Posted 09 August 2017 - 05:08 PM

We got that very same recall notice too. I think the software update also pulls in a bigger portion of fresh air while the vehicle is sitting as well, not just while it's under hard acceleration.

Our upfitters have done horrible work. Just about everything we have paid them to do, I have had to go over and fix. Loose push bumpers, cheap butt connectors on the airbag cut off switches, prisoner partition shields installed backwards, panels out of place, you name it.

Another issue I have seen is that Ford does not use all the mounting holes on their exhaust manifolds. A bulletin I got from Ford said that the extra holes are used for other vehicle configurations, and not all of them are needed. Well, me thinks they are in this case........

No longer working at dealerships. Government employee. Now i get paid to fix Fords.
ASE master tech
Private Pilot High Performance / Complex Rating.

#3 ok44

ok44

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 1,410 posts
  • Interests:Fast cars, antique motorcycles, industrial machinery, guns, fishing and outdoors, guitars and music, and all things related to aviation.

Posted 13 August 2017 - 03:02 PM

There was a news story locally the other day on this problem. They mentioned exhaust manifold cracks and even showed a few videos with a borescope showing those cracks.

Sounds like another (per Karrpilot and the extra holes bulletin) engineering fault. Imagine that...

#4 Beechkid

Beechkid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 58 posts

Posted 16 August 2017 - 05:30 PM

Me thinks me smells the vapors of a Pinto....with a little different seasoning !

Jeff

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users