Ford Triton 3 valve and 2 valve.

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Garry

Garry

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 105 posts
  • Interests:Sometimes i wish i could get a refund on the time I've invested in people that weren't worth it in the end!!

Posted 31 July 2017 - 10:30 AM

Good day group I have a question about spark plug insert kits offered by Calvan and APT for the the Ford 3 valve triton engines and the 2 valve engines. Other then the actual inserts for the spark plug inserts are the reamer and tap the same.
I have a new complete kit Apt 5410 for a 3v and four inserts for a 2v and they look exactly the same externally 3/4 X 16 OD. I have a new kit from Calvan 38900 for a 2v on order but it's held up on shipping and won't arrive for another week. Thoughts from someone who has used these kits would be great.
Cheers Garry.

#2 Karrpilot

Karrpilot

STAFF

• Staff
  • 6,134 posts
  • Interests:Ex Ford Tech 22 years.

Posted 01 August 2017 - 05:07 PM

I have never used them for various reasons. One, metal chips. There is absolutely no way possible to avoid getting all the metal chips out of the cylinder during this repair. Unless the head is off the engine. Which is what I have had to do in the past.

Another reason was that Ford used to not endorse or recommend them. The Ford school instructors said that those inserts would retain instead of dissipate heat, and were a possible detonation issue in the combustion process.

We change out our spark plugs every 50K to avoid this very issue. However, other repair sites in our system are not so swift, and I have had to make the final repairs. Which usually involves pulling the engine, bolting it to an engine stand, taking the heads off, replacing the warped and broken exhaust manifolds, new camshaft phasers, timing chains and guides, and anything else in the rust and rot department.......

No longer working at dealerships. Government employee. Now i get paid to fix Fords.
ASE master tech
Private Pilot High Performance / Complex Rating.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users